Father,
The changeling gave me a gift tonight ... a bottle of Aundarian wine. I don't know what the little sneak is up to, but it won't work. She ... he .... whatever that thrice-cursed creature actually is ... she's planning something. That bottle was a fine vintage, though not truly exceptional, and undoubtedly cost a great deal of coin. I've been watching her more carefully tonight, but as of yet I have not been able to determine the exact nature of her little game. Whatever it is, she'll find that I am not one to be toyed with. Should she continue on whatever reckless course of action she's embarked upon, I will be forced to take steps of my own. As it is, should she decide to attempt a break-in of my abode, she will get a rather nasty surprise. I have laid a rather potent ward on my door, and all the windows as well.
The wine is perhaps the only thing I truly miss about my nation. Though I will always consider myself to be Aundarian, it will never again be my home. Naturally, of course, I had already had some wine shipped over from Aundair at great expense to myself. One more reason that the changeling's "gift" was a wasted effort.
Zelina Medani came looking for us this evening. The poor girl asked that we investigate Hell's Heart, as her father is planning a visit sometime tomorrow evening. It seems the good Baron is not above exacting a petty sort of revenge on Victor Saint-Demain, as he seems to have acquired partial ownership of the asylum. How droll; he probably won't admit to such, but I am absolutely certain I know why he intends to inspect his new holding. I trust the sight of Victor as he is now will be quite sufficient to abate whatever wounds the Baron's foolish pride has been dealt over the last month. As I have admitted previously, the once-great inspector's broken body, as well as his charming new accommodations ... well, it just brings a smile to my heart to see someone so unnecessarily proud fall so far. I can only hope that Baron Trelib will see the humor in this situation as well.
Still, I can't help but wonder ... Victor has already demonstrated that his reach is far longer than his present living arrangements would suggest. Does he have one final trap to enact? I fail to see what else he could possibly attempt, but at the same time I know this man is far too clever to be trusted. The Baron could be walking right into Victor's hands, and we have been tasked with investigating the situation. I have agreed as a favor to the poor Lady Zelina, though privately I feel that the fool should be left to whatever fate awaits him in the depths of that mad gallery.
I sent her Ladyship away with my spare bottle of wine, as I have no desire to tote two such objects around the city with me. She is doubtless used to much finer wines, given her position within the house, but I did not believe that either of my companions could ever truly appreciate such a fine draught.
Draezor was acting strangely tonight ... he seems to have an eye for Zelina. How else to explain his strange behavior as she was departing? Intolerable. I will have to watch him carefully as well. I see the uses they have, but I do not trust any of my companions. Caution is the only thing keeping me from descending to the same level of arrogant tommyrot that Victor, Baron Medani, and you yourself, father, have long kept the company of.
I must go now. Many things require thought this night, and the winter chill is beginning to bother me. I am going to go build myself a fire, and consider the evening's events carefully.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Someone's got a cruh-uh-ush! Neener neener neener!
Coming from a stalker, that's pretty funny!
Post a Comment