Unnecessary Savagery #0 (Savage Tide)

Savage Tide is still quite some time off (seeing as we’re only about halfway through Age of Worms). Already, though, several of my fellow players are thinking about what they’d like to play. Normally, the character ideas are just springing to my mind unbidden, so by now one would think I’d have something fun brewing in the back of my braincase. And yet, I have nothing.

Our DM advised us to treat the characters as if they’d be the last D&D character we’d ever play. In other words, pick something iconic, something that sums the game up for us, or even just something we’ve enjoyed in the past. For some reason, I can’t seem to pin down a character idea that really hits home for me.

So, folks, here’s where you come in. I’d like to hear what you’d make if you were only going to get the chance to play one final character. Don’t be afraid to say whatever comes to your mind. Heck, if you have a “Top 3” list, drop them all on me. If it’s not a core class or race, please cite the sourcebook(s) they appear in, so I can take a peak. If anyone wants to make suggestions for me, now’s the time for that, too.

Maybe one of your ideas will spark my creative juices a bit … and if not, it’d still be fun to read your responses!

8 comments:

Jason said...

=======================
Races I Like / Want To Try:
-----------------------
Kobolds
Dwarves
Mongrelfolk
Dragonborn
Humans (but I've done them to death)


=======================
Classes I Like / Want To Try:
-----------------------
Dragonfire Adepts
Clerics
Fighters
Druids
Monks


=======================
Races I Refuse To Play:
-----------------------
Gnomes (unless I can make one -really- vile and disgusting)
Anything with a level adjustment


=======================
Classes I Refuse To Play:
-----------------------
None ... I'll try anything at least once.

Anonymous said...

Go for it, make a Dragonfire Adept if you want! Of the races presented, I'd be a little leery about Dragonborn in the campaign since there is litteraly nothing to do with Bahamut or his goals in the campaign as it exists. A Kobold would be a little difficult to work in too, unless there's a really good story for it. I wonder how a Mongrelfolk would turn out as a Dragonfire Adept? Hmmm....

Jason said...

You know, when I first read through Dragon Magic, I was actually pretty disappointed in the dragonfire adept, and nearly wrote it off as an interesting idea gone wrong. To this day, most people in the WotC forums consider the DFA to be a substandard version of the warlock (which may or may not be a fair assessment). Certainly, it has a few fun tricks that the warlock can't duplicate, but it would make a lousy substitute for a true arcane spellcaster / magic-hurlin'-bastard.

Regardless, once I gave the DFA a trial run for your/Caroline's Forgotten Realms game, I was enthralled. Hooked, addicted, whatever. The point is, I thoroughly enjoyed myself, and in a campaign setting I wasn't terribly interested in to boot. It's always good to find a class or race that just feels fun, even if it isn't the "best" or "most powerful" option, and I find I can get into any adventure or campaign if I enjoy what I've brought to the table.

---------------

Regarding races for a dragonfire adept:

Kobolds: Not exactly the greatest choice for a DFA due to their Con penalty, these little buggers are still an interesting race to pair the class with. Kobolds are all about connecting with their draconic blood when they can, and what better way to do that than to seek to emulate (and, in a sense, become) dragons? Tons o' fun, in particular now that there's a lot of expanded material for them; for instance, the Draconic Rite of Passage grants a 1st-level sorcerer spell of your choice as a spell-like ability once per day ... and choosing something long-lasting like mage armor would provide a decent armor class at low levels. There are bonuses and drawbacks to a kobold DFA, but no major stumbling blocks.

Dwarves: Ah, dwarves. A good Con score makes the DFA breath weapon harder to resist. The dwarven Cha penalty might look bad at first glance, but most of the good DFA invocations don't rely on saving throws anyway. Looks like dwarves can make pretty good DFAs ... though they do appear to be quite rare, as befits the dwarven racial enmity with dragons. Adventurers being the exceptional people that they are, though, rarity wouldn't be much of an issue.

Mongrelfolk: Everything I've said about dwarves goes for these fascinating ethnic freaks. They get a better Constitution boost than dwarves do, with a correspondingly larger Charisma penalty. Again, note that the most useful invocations don't require saves. This looks to be a powerhouse combination.

Dragonborn: How effective this race is as a DFA depends a great deal on what they were born as. By default (aka, from human origin), they're decent, with that Constitution boost making their breath weapon harder to resist. And a Dexterity penalty isn't much of an issue for a DFA, either, as the ability to wear armor will keep them from ever having an armor class worth mentioning. If you were to take this race and add it atop an already suitable choice for a DFA, you'd probably be quite pleased with the results.

Humans: An extra feat, extra skill points, and no ability penalties make humans a good choice for nearly any class. The dragonfire adept is no exception.

Gnomes: Ugh. It's terrible, but these walking talking piles of midget-afterbirth can actually fair quite well as dragonfire adepts. As always, a Constitution bonus is good for the breath weapon. Since the goal as a DFA is to stay -out- of melee combat, a Strength penalty won't hamper their career much. As much as I hate to admit it, this is a solid race/class combination.

Jason said...

The dragonborn, though they definitely shine best in a campaign featuring frequent clashes with evil dragonkind and Tiamat's spawn, are still easy to use in a typical D&D campaign. Though Bahamut has empowered them in response to the growing number of spawn of Tiamat, they are not ignorant of the world's other evils. They're a lot like playing paladins in that regard; though they may serve a specific deity, and try to further that deity's aims and goals when possible, they will do everything in their power to combat any threat to the safety and freedom of other races.

Jason said...

If I do decide to play a dragonfire adept, I'll probably steer clear of races with Charisma penalties. A persuasive and charismatic character would be nice to have after playing someone like Taklinn (who, in turn, was a response to the urban civility, finesse, and politeness that I always tried to get across with Slade).

There are still lots of options, and still lots of time, too. I'm sure I'll get it all figured out by the time we get started.

Kyle said...

I was thinking a Cleric of Heironious that is a Hellbred. His previous life was actually working for Hextor but he was betrayed at the end of it all and he then realized what Hextor really was, A fiend. Probably going to make him cleric 3/church inquisitor 5/ordained champion 5/not sure after that. Probably dinv oracle or finish off church inquisitor.

My other idea was a swashbuckler/dread pirate. Figure since at least we start in a coastal area might as well use a pirate (like steve the pirate).

My other idea is maybe my war hulk idea like usual hehe.

Other idea is

Kyle said...

Oh ya maybe a Bard gnome who never stops being positive....oh there's demigorgon....let's hope he like my song...

kyle said...

Maybe a Wizard with the domain wizard alternative feature (protection domain) and be like a wizard 6/Abjuration Champion 5/Argent Savant 5