Father,
It has been some time since I have been able to sit and write. Strange that I would choose to write to you again, is it not? We were never close, you and I. As I discovered in those first few weeks after your demise, not even death will keep you from making your presence felt. Fitting, I suppose, that I should continue addressing these to you; an unwanted son to an unwanted father.
Though my estate is hardly what you would have considered grand, I live a very comfortable life here in Sharn; if only I had more time to enjoy it. Suffice to say, as reasonably well-known adventurers, our little group's services have been in considerable demand of late. Endless travels, endless inns, faceless patrons. It all grows tiresome.
There is a talented pianist from Karnath (of all places!) who is going to be giving a performance here in Sharn in a few weeks. I have already purchased my ticket, as well as an extra in case I choose to go with someone else. I have extended the Lady Medani an invitation, but as of yet I have received no response. It's quite probable that she has no love of music, and equally probable that my missive never even reached her in the first place. I understand quite intimately the way a noble's life works, after all. It still troubles me that I placed her life before her father's when we dealt with Victor that final time. The Baron is a very important man. Perhaps he took offense to my handling of that situation. In any case, her father would undoubtedly have disapproved of her attendance to a public performance in the company of a known adventurer. I don't expect to hear from her, but at least this way I can say I made an attempt at human contact. My increasingly metallic companion can't really say the same, now can he (and at what point shall I stop referring to him as 'him', and start calling him an 'it')?
Whatever the reason for her silence on the invitation, I care little. Perhaps music is best enjoyed in solitude, without the prattling of a crowd of ignorant nobility; too far removed to actually appreciate the artistry involved in a fine performance, they would only gasp and titter and applaud in all the right places without even once comprehending the true beauty behind the music. My working companions are much the same. I suspect any one of them would jump at the chance to accompany me, if only to attempt to socialize with me outside of our adventuring arrangement. Why they seem so utterly fascinated with my private life is beyond me. The harder I try to keep my affairs to myself, the more they seem to try to forcibly insinuate themselves into my life. All three of them are trying to befriend me. Perhaps they have malicious intentions, or perhaps they are simply fools. I've spent a great deal of time and money on my home, and I have no desire to abandon it to recapture my privacy. The explosive wards I've laid on my doors and windows keep them out, but it doesn't stop them from trying to reach me constantly. I must find a better solution. Perhaps if I humor them every now and again, the meddling will cease, though I do not relish the idea of spending my free time with any of them.
Gods, another knock on the door! It seems peace and quiet will be eluding me again today.
-=- Urik Tharsival -=-
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment